Sunday, July 21, 2019

Thomas Robinson played for the love of his Mom



Thomas Robinson seemed destined for NBA stardom after a standout career at Kansas, where he was named a consensus first-team All-American his junior year and led KU to the national title game. Robinson averaged 17.7 points and 11.9 rebounds per game that magical season.

I interviewed an NBA scout before the 2012 NBA Draft, and he was extremely high on Robinson.

“He will have a strong chance at putting up good numbers immediately and I would expect him to be in the ROY (Rookie of Year) discussion,” the scout wrote in an email while comparing Robinson to then-Utah Jazz forward Paul Millsap, who earned his third straight All-Star appearance that season.

“(He) could be a double-double guy and a starter for 10 years,” the scout added about Robinson. “Probably not a perennial all star but could be a one-two time all star.”

This scout loved Robinson’s game.

“(He’s) physical, rebounds, competitive, improved offensive talent,” the scout wrote.

Many observers believed Robinson could go as high as No. 2 in the draft to Charlotte. However, Sacramento picked him at No. 5 and then gave up on him after 51 games and traded him to Houston.

Seven years after he was drafted with tremendous fanfare, Robinson is out of the NBA. Since leaving the NBA in 2017 after a year with the Los Angeles Lakers, the former KU star has played in Russia, China, and most recently with the Maine Red Claws of the G-League in 2019, averaging 19.0 points and 13.5 rebounds in four games.

The 6-9 forward with a high motor played with six teams during five NBA seasons, starting just 12 out of 313 games and averaging 4.9 points and 4.8 rebounds in 13.4 minutes per contest. He recently competed for the San Antonio Spurs in Salt Lake City and the Las Vegas Summer League in hopes of making an NBA comeback, averaging 9.5 points, 6.6 rebounds and 1.1 assists while shooting 60 percent from the floor and just below 80 percent from the free throw line.

Robinson talked about what he was trying to do in Summer League.

“Honestly, I’m not trying to show that I could do anything different,” he told poundingtherock.com on July 15. “I’m not scared to shoot it. I just want to show that I am doing everything they ask me to do the first time. That’s pretty much the plan. To get everyone’s attention. I’m not 30, and I’m not about to pass away. I’m not old. I’m still young. I still got plenty of years left in me. I’m just happy to be here.”

In Salt Lake City, second-year Spurs’ player Lonnie Walker IV spoke highly of Robinson. Walker said Robinson was “a great guy. He’s shown me his work ethic is impeccable. He’s making me work harder, he’s a true motivation . . . I’m grateful to have a guy like that to be able to talk to and still learn things.”

Robinson isn’t at all resentful of how his NBA career has panned out.

“I’ve accepted my route,” Robinson said. “I’m fine with how things went. I wouldn’t change anything. It made me more mature. It made me smarter. It made me more grateful.”

According to Jeph Duarte of poundingtherock.com, Robinson was “eventually told that he lacked the basketball IQ to truly compete.”

“It’s hard when you tell somebody to work on their IQ. Because how do you do that? It’s terminology and knowing the right places to be and just watching the game,” Robinson said. “You have to know the game. I’ve been a raw talent all my life, so I got this far by not having to know certain things or do certain things. That’s been the case with me.”

While his NBA career hasn’t been successful thus far, Robinson was simply unstoppable at Kansas his junior year while working his way through the big man rotation his first two seasons.

He ranks No. 1 in KU history for double-doubles (27) in a single season in 2012 and his 11.9 rebound average that year ranks No. 8 for a season. Robinson ranks No. 55 on KU’s career scoring charts and No. 15 in rebounding.

He will eventually receive the ultimate honor and have his jersey retired in the Allen Fieldhouse rafters.

Regardless of what happens next in Robinson’s basketball career, he is already a resounding success for how much adversity he’s overcome during his life. His mom, grandmother and grandfather died within three weeks during his sophomore season. He played against Texas a day after his mom, Lisa, died, and he competed versus K-State two days after her funeral.

It was simply a courageous act to be on the court both times. I wrote about Robinson’s heroic performance against KSU on Phog.net on Feb. 2, 2011, the most inspirational performance by a  Jayhawk that I’ve ever witnessed in 46 years of following KU basketball.

Here is that story.

...

A Son To Be Proud Of

DAVID GARFIELD
02/02/2011

Three hours after Thomas Robinson waved to the fans and blew a kiss after leaving the KU-K-State game with just over a minute remaining, all the cheers and chants of "Let's Go T-Rob" in Allen Fieldhouse still echoed in my mind.

As I drove my car with the radio amped to the grocery store on this cold winter Saturday night in Lawrence, I felt the chills. And it wasn't because of the weather. These were deep, cold chills, the kind you get when you've just seen something so extraordinary, so magical and mesmerizing that you don't know if you'll ever see again.

The kind of chills you get after witnessing probably the most inspirational and courageous performance I've ever seen by a KU basketball player in 38 years of following Jayhawks hoops.

Eight days after Thomas Robinson's mother, Lisa, died of an apparent heart attack in Washington, D.C., and just two days after her funeral, Robinson put on a jaw-dropping show with 17 points and nine rebounds in KU's 90-66 victory.

He dunked. Again and again. He battled under the boards. He shocked the fieldhouse by swishing an 18-foot jumper just below the top of the key, capping six straight points in a 54-second span during the second half.

And with every dunk, with every rebound, with every point, with every sprint down famed James Naismith Court, Robinson honored his mother with one of the best games of his life.

For two hours, Robinson could forget about his pain and play the game he loved. For two hours, Robinson had fun and joy with his teammates and lost himself in the moment. For two hours, he showed the fans how much he cared for their support during this trying time, where he lost his mother, grandmother, and grandfather within three weeks.

And for two hours, Robinson played a game that he and the 16,300 fans will never forget.

I know I never will.

The grieving process can be a long and hard road, and sometimes even unbearable with pain and heartache. I know this was the case for me when I lost a loved one 17 years ago on Jan. 8, 1994. I cried constantly. I lost my joy. I lost my way of life. I was gripped with sadness and grief for a whole year. I could never have played a basketball game the day after my loss or two days after the funeral.

But that's what Robinson did. First, he played in the Texas game on Jan. 22 following the death of his mom the previous night, and then he came up huge against KSU two days after saying goodbye to Lisa one final time at her funeral.

"I played tonight because I cannot sit around too long," Robinson said after the K-State game. "I know my mother wouldn't want me to sit around crying forever, but I keep going on and striving to reach my goals."

It will be a long journey ahead for him, his 7-year-old sister, Jayla, and also his half-brother, Jamah. But Robinson knows he will have the love of the Jayhawk Nation supporting him and his family every step of the way.

"We have great people all across Kansas," Robinson said. "This past month really has opened my eyes to how amazing this place is. It is beyond words to describe how I feel and the love that I have for the University of Kansas and the fans.

"The support that I received was beyond amazing, and the support is still coming," Robinson added. "I know that I cannot physically say thank you to every person that has helped me, but if this could get out I just want to thank people that have tried to reach out to me or thought about me."

As I drove my car after the game, I couldn't help think about an ex-Jayhawk who also showed triumph of the human spirit. Jerod Haase, a standout guard from 1994-97, scored 16 points and dished out five assists in 30 minutes against UCLA as a freshman playing for California on Jan. 24, 1993, just a day after the unexpected death of his dad, Gary.

"He's one courageous kid," Cal Coach Lou Campanelli told the Los Angeles Times after the game.

Haase's effort earned him "Most Courageous Performance" by USA Today.

Almost exactly 18 years later, Robinson displayed tremendous courage and heart in helping KU beat its Sunflower rival and start a new homecourt winning streak.

"What a night Thomas had," KU coach Bill Self said. "He was unbelievable. He was so fired up and played so hard. That was a special deal for him. The fans here are incredible, how they recognized him when he checked in (standing ovation at the 16:47 mark of the first half) and how they recognized him when he checked out. That's a special moment, that's one he will never forget. We're really proud of him and our team is really happy for him." 

Self could tell Robinson was driven and on a mission.

"I think he's focused," Self said. "He's been through a lot and it's a unique thing, but this was an extra special game, not because it was K-State, but because it was one that probably for the first time, he had an opportunity to play for his mother."

And he did so in a way that I bet every fan in the Phog felt the same chills that I did. Above all, with his courageous and heroic play, Robinson took a giant first step in the grieving process.

Lisa Robinson would be proud.



No comments: