Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Otto Schnellbacher was one of the greatest athletes in KU history

It’s not often in your life when you have the priceless opportunity to interview and write a story on one of the greatest athletes in KU history, KU football’s first All-American and one of the rare athletes in sports history to play both in the NFL and NBA.

But that’s what happened to me on a November day in 2000 when I did a phone interview with Otto Schnellbacher, one of the true giants in KU sports history. Otto was in New York at the time watching KU basketball in the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic.

We had a wonderful interview, as Otto fondly recalled his KU days, how he got started in football at Kansas, his favorite Jayhawk memories, his NBA and NFL career, and what he’s been up to since retiring from the NFL in 1951.

He was a phenomenal athlete but an even better person. I was saddened when he passed in 2008 at age 84 of cancer in Topeka, where he lived most of his life.

His death and storied accomplishments were written about in the New York Times and on ESPN.com. He is a proud member of KU's Ring of Honor and was inducted into the Kansas Sports Hall of Fame in 1972 and also the University of Kansas Sports Hall of Fame.

Perhaps above all, Otto was an extremely loyal Jayhawk to the last day of his life.

Don Fambrough, the former KU football player and head coach and teammate of Otto's, spoke fondly of him after his death to the Lawrence Journal-World on March 10, 2008.

"This is a tough one," Fambrough said. "Otto was from the little old town of Sublette and he used to tell me stories of the dust storms out there. His mother would stay up all night long and put wet towels over their faces so they could breathe. I've always been partial to Kansas kids. They're tough kids who've had to work hard for everything they've gotten. That was Otto."

Here is that Where Are They Now? story on Otto Schnellbacher, an interview I’ll always fondly remember.

...

Otto Schnellbacher arrived at KU in 1941 as a “very farmish young man” from Sublette, Kan. He was recruited by Phog Allen on a basketball scholarship, which just included books and tuition. So to make ends meet, Schnellbacher waited tables at Delta Chi fraternity for room and board, and also worked at Memorial Stadium on game days.

“They notified me that I had a football job and I was on basketball scholarship, and they were going to have to fire me,” Schnellbacher said. “So I went to see Phog and he said, ‘Well, go out for football and you can keep your job.’ That’s how come I went out for football at KU. It turned out to be pretty good for me.”

A legend was born.

Hailed as the “Double Threat from Sublette,” Schnellbacher became one of the greatest athletes in KU history. He excelled on the gridiron and hardwood, and was one of just three Kansas players to serve as captain in both basketball and football. Schnellbacher earned all-conference in basketball four years and was a two-time All-Big Six selection in football. He capped off a scintillating football career in 1947 with 58 total receptions for 1,069 yards — both marks stood as school records for 22 years. 

Schnellbacher’s greatest accomplishment was helping lead KU to the Orange Bowl on Jan. 1, 1948 (KU’s first bowl) and being named Kansas’ first All-America selection (along with Ray Evans).

“Ray Evans was a super player and super individual,” Schnellbacher said. “There was no finer individual that ever lived. That makes me feel very proud to be included with Ray.”

Schnellbacher, whose KU career was interrupted in 1943 (World War II), admits his sports preferences changed after he spent three years in the service.

“When I first went to KU, basketball was by far my favorite sport,” he said. “By the time I left there, I think football was my favorite sport. ... I think a lot of it has to due with the type of success you have. My last year, I had much more success in football than I did in basketball. We weren’t that whippy as a basketball team (KU went just 9-15 in 1947-48).  I knew my future was in football.”

Schnellbacher actually wound up being drafted in both sports. He played four years of professional football (he shifted from a split end to a defensive back) with the New York Yankees of the All-America Football Conference and the NFL New York Giants, as well as playing one year with the NBA Providence Steamrollers and St. Louis Bombers in 1948-49. 
 
He was named football All-Pro two times before retiring in 1951, leading the NFL in interceptions that year with 11.

“I thought it was great,” Schnellbacher said. “I wasn’t going to go into coaching or stay in sports, so it was time to quit after four years and make my home in Topeka.  I could have played more, but I had enough.”

Schnellbacher has lived in Topeka ever since.  

“I wanted to stay near Lawrence,” he said. “Lawrence was a little bit too small and Kansas City was too big. Topeka was just right in size for me.”

Schnellbacher, who worked in the insurance business for American United Life and Indianapolis Life before officially retiring in 1988, is now extremely active in volunteer work with his church and such deserving agencies as Let’s Help and Concerned Citizens for Topeka against Hate. He’s also president of the Topeka Jayhawk Club and follows the crimson and blue faithfully.

In fact, he was recently in New York to watch the basketball team in the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic.
“Since I lived there back in the 40s and 1950 and ‘51, I know the town,” he said. “We had a great time. We went up to West Point and Bear Mountain.”

Of course, Schnellbacher’s fondest memories of the 1940s center around Mount Oread. He remains forever grateful to Allen for steering him into football and molding him into the person he is today.

“Phog Allen was the greatest thing to ever happen to my life,” Schnellbacher said. “He was just a super human being. He was very supportive and helpful with ideas and motivated you to do things right and be somebody, and try to do things right in a positive way in the world. He was a very fine motivator. Roy Williams has the same traits.”

And about that Jayhawk moniker as the “Double Threat from Sublette?

“I didn’t care what they called me,” Schnellbacher said, laughing. “I didn’t mind, as long as they called me something.”

A Closer Look at Otto Schnellbacher:
Years at KU: 1941-1943; 1946-48
Career Notables: Football All-American in 1947... Co-Captain of 1947 Orange Bowl team and captain of 1947-48 basketball squad (one of three KU athletes to serve as captain in both sports)...Led KU in receiving in 1942, ‘46, ‘47...All-Conference in basketball four years.
Family: Schnellbacher and his wife, Jane, have seven children and 13 grandkids (he and his first wife, who died over 10 years ago, had three children. Schnellbacher’s second wife, Jane, had four children).
Education: B.S. Education, 1948.
Since Leaving KU: Schnellbacher played one year in the NBA (1948-49) with Providence and St. Louis and four years in professional football (AAFC New York Yankees and NFL New York Giants) before retiring in 1951. He then moved to Topeka and worked in the life insurance business until 1988.
Currently: Schnellbacher, who still has his insurance license, is retired and lives in Topeka.
Hobbies: Playing golf and following the Jayhawks. 
Favorite KU Memories: The 1942-43 basketball team (22-6 and Big Six Champions) and 1947 Orange Bowl squad. “Back in those days, they only had four bowls — Orange, Sugar, Rose and Cotton. So to get to the Orange Bowl was quite a thrill.” 


On the Jayhawks Today:  “The basketball team is going to be great this year. It’s already on its way...I’m a fan of Terry Allen and I hope for his success. I think we got to give him some time to recruit some better personnel.”

No comments: