Sunday, October 27, 2019

Big Sister Betsey Fisher made a profound impact on her Little Sister's life

I had the great fortune and privilege to write profiles on Big Brothers and Big Sisters in the Lawrence Journal-World from 1995-99. These were some of the most poignant and compelling stories I wrote when I featured volunteers in the community. I loved getting to know the Big Brothers and Big Sisters and exploring their relationship with their Little Brothers and Sisters. They really opened up to me and shared their stories.

I even got the chance to interview my childhood friend, who was the first Big Brother Big Sister match in Douglas County. But my favorite profile I ever wrote on Big Brothers Big Sisters was Betsey Fisher in 1999. She was a remarkable and caring woman who invited me over to her home for a very special interview. Her Little Sister, Kit Kat, was there and I asked her a few questions as well.  Kit Kat was very shy and quiet, but a lovely girl with a great role model in Betsey.

In this article, I explored their relationship and the love the two had with each other. After 20 years, I still have vivid memories of my interview with Betsey and Kit Kat. It was truly one of my most enjoyable interviews I’ve ever done in 25 years in the writing profession.

Kit Kat, who was 10 years old at the time and had to overcome homelessness with her family when she was first matched with Betsey, would now be 30. I wonder how her life has turned out. I believe with Betsey Fisher serving as a great role model and wonderful Big Sister, Kit Kat’s life has likely turned out quite well.

I urge many people to get involved with Big Brothers Big Sisters and help make a huge and profound impact on a young person’s life just like Betsey Fisher did with Kit Kat.

Here is that story from 1999 in the Journal-World.

...

Betsey Fisher and her Little Sister, Kit Kat, have just returned home at 6:30 p.m. this early Friday evening from grocery shopping and posting Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Douglas County flyers up around town.  
 
Fisher sits relaxed at the kitchen table and reads one of the red flyers. She softly says the words as the agency’s mission comes alive:

“Become a Big Brother or Big Sister! The Impact is Phenomenal. The Commitment is Simple.”

Fisher has indeed made a phenomenal impact on Kit Kat’s life since being matched together three and a half years ago. She’s tried to give her some of the fun and educational opportunities that she experienced growing up in Tulsa, such as going to plays, musicals, and museums. In the process, the two have formed a lasting friendship, and Kit Kat’s grades and social skills have significantly improved. 

They are both currently excited about attending Brigadoon later this evening at the Lied Center. Kit Kat, 10, now walks into the living room and watches television, while Fisher’s two beloved dogs and “babies,” Andi and Oliver, meander in and out of the kitchen looking for action.  

Fisher, who has worked as a flight attendant for TWA the past 33 years, talks about how much Kit Kat has actually changed her life and opened up a whole new world.  

“When we were first matched, they (Kit Kat’s family) were homeless,” Fisher said. “I always took for granted that I’d have a roof over my head. If I can do anything to help her, that will all be worth it.”

Fisher describes a poignant experience of taking Kit Kat to her parents’ home in Tulsa three years ago. As they were walking down the long winding staircase, Kit Kat looked up at Fisher and asked wistfully, “Is this kind of like a hotel?" Big Sister replied, “No, not really. It’s a private home.”

Kit Kat has now  become a “big part” of Fisher’s home and family in Lawrence.

“I can just say, ‘Kit Kat, will you do something?’ She knows exactly where to go and how to do it. She’s growing up.”
 
Kit Kat, who is wearing a stunning purple dress and gold necklace draped elegantly around her neck, soon takes a television break and goes into the kitchen and sits on Fisher’s lap.  

“She’s got the prettiest hair,” said Fisher, affectionately stroking Kit Kat’s pony tail. “It’s thick too. She’s got more hair right here in this pony tail than I have on my head. She is so lucky.”

Kit Kat immediately flashes a shy smile. Asked what her Big Sister means to her, she quietly says, “A lot.” Fisher proudly gazes down at Kit Kat, who struggles to elaborate on the words and feelings alive in her heart. As 15 seconds pass with silence, Kit Kat adds, “She’s nice and likes doing stuff that l like doing too.”

Fisher thinks the world of her Little Sister as well, and believes she can accomplish greatness in her life if she continues working hard in school.


“She’s a sweet little thing,” Fisher said. “I talk about her all the time.”  

No comments: